Sunday 24 May 2015

Dreams on Post-it notes

A singer once came to my secondary school during assembly to talk about how she followed her dream.


She's been singing from a young age, sharing her talent before family and friends after Christmas dinner but really she wanted to sing to the world.


Every night, before she went to bed, she would ask herself, "what did I do today that's one step closer to my dream?" Every night she had an answer and she scribbled it on a post-it note.


Her advice stuck with me to this day. So when I'm busy handing in an assignment or just having a bad day, I still have my dream waiting for me, pushing me past the present, making me stronger.


I'm only just starting to realise how easy it is to get trapped in everyday life. We wake up, eat, work and sleep, conditioning our bodies and souls into thinking that's all there is to exist for.


It's poisonous. Snap out of it.


Somewhere in everyone is a little child who dreamt to be an astronaut or a doctor or a writer. Your life may be busy now, you may need to make money to survive but you don't have to sacrifice your dream.


You can walk towards it, one post-it note at a time.




~ Rima

No comments:

Post a Comment