Saturday 2 July 2016

Favourite TV Shows of 2016

Okay, today's blog title may be incorrect since 2016 is not yet over but I just wanted an excuse to gush about my favourite hobby besides reading - bingeing TV shows. Yes, 'bingeing' is a word (according to Google) and I happen to excel at it...scarily.

I'm going to share why these shows are THE BOMB which you can go ahead and read as 'WHY HAVE YOU NOT YET JOINED ON THE BANDWAGON!'

So, in order of 'I can't live without this show' to 'I totally get the hype but I'm not in love':

1. OUTLANDER - Let me just come outright and say that this is my baby and my all time favourite TV show. Aaand it's set in Scotland which is now my most desired place to visit, live and breathe. Seriously, you're missing out on majestic places such as this:



Reasons why I love this show are because it's jam packed with history, violence, humour and romance. Hailed as the 'feminine Game of Thrones', the show really isn't gratuitous when it comes to sex and violence as director Ronald D. Moore and the actors have frequently said they only show it if it drives the plot. The show is very sensual but at the heart of it is an emotional story about a confused and lost Claire trying to get back to her husband whilst finding comfort and safety in Jamie amongst the foreign and seemingly backward Highlanders. It also goes without saying that Jamie, played by Sam Heughan is an amazing character in the way he acts, reasons and loves. Just look at him in his Scottish gettup, phwoar...


2. TEEN WOLF - Favourite Young Adult show ever purely for its sass, characters and the number of times I have wanted to call out for my mother. Seriously, things get scary real quick.

Teen Wolf is an American television series developed by Jeff Davis for MTV. It is loosely based on the 1985 film of the same name, and star Tyler Posey as a teenager named Scott McCall, who is bitten by a werewolf and must cope with how it affects his life and the lives of those closest to him, and Dylan O'Brien as "Stiles" Stilinski, Scott's best friend.

Since it began in 2011, you may have to give it a few episodes before you see the awesomeness but honestly, it's there! I mean, if you don't give it a go, you're missing out on Dylan O' Brien being a super cute dork with a buzz head.


3. AGENTS OF SHIELD - If you're craving some action and basically a fan of Marvel movies, you totally need this show in my life!


Best things about this show are the cast, the plotlines and how it just gels with and incorporates the other Marvel films. Phil Coulson is an amazingly hilarious leader of his agents as well as a father figure whilst the British scientists are just plain cute. Sky is basically your average gobby girl without a home and I absolutely love her actress, Chloe Bennet.

4. THE NIGHT MANAGER - This is just spy drama brilliant! I'm not a huge fan of Bond but I certainly approve of Tom Hiddleston as a spy. Albeit a mini series, every episode is intense and packs such a huge punch.


This line had me bawling and this was only episode 1. It really highlights Tom's character as someone whose confident in himself but cautious of the world. Perfect formula for a spy then! 


5. AND THEN THERE WERE NONE - This is my first adaptation of an Agathe Christie novel and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Only three episodes and you quickly watch with horror as ten guests in a hotel are slowly killed or missing.


6. A GAME OF THRONES - Finally we come to the show with the largest hype ever. I honestly was happy delaying watching this but my Literature course was studying the novel from which this is adapted.


I have to say I'm glad the show turned out to be good else I'd be rolling my eyes till 2017. I love characters such as Daenerys, Arya, Jon Snow for obvious reasons. The violence is the show is honestly heart breaking and teeth shattering sometimes while the sex scenes have probably left me scarred. This is strictly an 18 plus show!

As much the dragons in Game of Thrones make my heart leap with happiness, I can't say I love this show. It's certainly well scripted and executed but I think it's too grand and loud for me to really enjoy it. That said, I'm anxious to get back into where I left with season 6!

Just leaving a picture of baby Drogon because dragons are bae.


*** Do you love or hate any of the shows I've mentioned? What show should I be watching as well? Look out for my post on tv shows that I'm looking forward to starting and some of yours may be featured. ***

Until next time folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment